Friday, November 12, 2010

Mom's Guest Post!!

I had a feeling calling her out would get that guest post ball rolling...here it is! From my momma on her experience here. Stay tuned for pics from our trip to Milan and Lake Como! Hi, I am Beverly Woodward, Katie's mom and Tyler's mom-in-law. Katie asked me to share some thoughts and memories about my trip to vist them - so here goes: First, I do NOT see how she stand living with Tyler, he would drive me crazy. Psych!! Just kidding - wanted to see if you were paying attention! I love them both very much. Tyler AND Katie were actually very gracious hosts. I arrived in Nuremburg about mid day on Thursday after an awful overnight flight wiggling around in my seat and trying to sleep; also trying not to go to the bathroom for about 12 hours so I would not have to crawl over my soundly sleeping seatmate. But I perked right up when I saw the Scarbroughs, people and pups, all waiting for me at the airport. We made our way via train, bus, and on foot back to their cute apartment in Erlangen. Reagan was right, it is a page right out of an Ikea catalog, with the possible exception of the wall "art." It is cute and cozy and they seem right at home! We walked around and looked at Erlangen a little, then went for my very first meal in Europe at one of their favorite local restaurants - a steak house! It was really delicious and I was starving! Back home and early to bed. The next day Katie and I flew to Milan, Italy for a few days (Tyler had to work and dog sit :( ) Just getting to Milan and to our hotel was something of an adventure; finding transportation via shuttle from Malpenso Airport to Milan, being dropped off after dark at Milan's Central Train Station, and making our way across the piazza to our hotel - the lovely Starhotel Splendido! My first hotel room with a giant round support post right in the center of the room - and our view was, well, I have pictures and will post them when I learn how! I loved our Italian adventure - I think my favorite part was our side trip to Lake Como, where we walked all around the little town of Como at the foot of the lake. It is very quaint and looks like everyone's idea of Italy - narrow winding streets with cool old buildings and villas, cute little shops, streetfront cafes, street fairs. I would love to have spent more time there, and would love to go back some day! Milan was fun too - saw lots of old churches, a castle, medieval stuff, the La Scala Opera House, shopped, ate, and WALKED. Very cool to a history buff like me. Back in Germany, we went to Nuremburg for one day - toured the Nazi Rally Grounds, old town of Nuremburg, etc. And Katie and Tyler showed me the sights of Erlangen, which I found to be a pleasant and town. Left for home in the EARLY morning dark in a cab all by myself, through the dark Germany countrywide to the Nuremburg Airport, and started my long journey back home. Some of my impressions from my trip: --It so odd to sit at a table having a meal and every group dining near you may be speaking to each other in different languages; not a common occurence in the US. But I kind of liked it. (It was sort of like being in the cafeteria at school) --I do not like German food, sorry. While there I ate steak, Thai, Chinese, and lots of Italian, but very little authentic German cuisine. --European men will wear clothes that would get a southern boy beat up - like, jeans and t shirts with sequins on them, lots of Ed Hardy stuff, scarves artfully knotted at their necks, etc. --There is graffiti literally EVERYWHERE and it doesn't seem to bother anyone, even on their really old buildings and nice hotels. --They are much more environtmentally conscientious than the US; recycling is everywhere, use more public transportation, lights on timers, etc. --It is a lot easier to get out of the US to travel to Europe than it is to get in; security from Amsterdam to the US was incredible!! My first body scan. I am so glad I went! Great to spend time with Katie and Tyler, and I was so impressed with how they have adapted to their lives and handle all the differences. And I will be glad to have them back here soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Very Jealous you guys got to go to Milan!! This sounds like such a neat experience. I lol about being in a restaurant and hearing lots of languages because that is sooooo common here in DC.

    ReplyDelete